Ways of Becoming a US Citizen

Being a citizen of the United States of America will give a person many rights which will not be available to a permanent resident of the country such as the freedom to live in another country for long periods of time without losing the right to return to the US, being able to apply for family members to immigrate, and the right to vote at US elections. Because of these reasons the US citizenship is highly valued and therefore one has to go through a tough process to obtain it.

There are several ways through which you can obtain US citizenship and all of these methods except for citizenship by birth require the applicant to file <a href=”http://www.us-immigration.com/cart/category/immigration-forms.html”>immigration forms</a>< which will be processed by the USCIS. You can mainly get citizenship through birth or by law, these are the ways you could become a citizen of the US by law:
Naturalization of green card holders:
Applications by permanent residents of the US are the most common type of <strong>USA citizenship application</strong>.

The process for US citizenship through naturalization begins with the submission of the relevant immigration forms, <strong>Form n400</strong> in the case of green card holders. Lawful permanent residents of the United States, who meet the eligibility requirements, can file form n400 to request citizenship.

Eligibility Requirements for US citizenship:
To make a USA citizenship application through naturalization, you have to meet the following requirements. You should:

• Be 18 years of age or above.
• A lawful permanent resident for 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
• Have maintained continuous residence during the past 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
• Have maintained physical presence during the past 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
• Have good moral character.
• Have basic knowledge of English.
• Have basic knowledge of US government and history.
• Be willing to take the Oath of Allegiance.

Along with the completed form you need to send copies of both sides of the green card, photographs of yourself and the applicable fee. In the event that you have lost or misplaced the green card you need to submit a <a href=”http://www.us-immigration.com/replace-lost-stolen-green-card-Form-I-90.jsp”>Form i90</a> to replace the lost Permanent resident card and submit a copy of the receipt along with Form n400.if your green card is due to expire before you make the USA citizenship application make sure to file a Form i90 to request the renewal of your green card.

If you need help with the application process you need not go through a lawyer, visit <a href=”http://www.us-immigration.com”>www.us-immigration.com</a> for comprehensive guides to help you through for a fraction of the cost.

Naturalization of members of the armed services
Sections 328 and 329 of the Immigration and nationality Act allow Members of the U.S. armed forces who has served honorably for more than one year and has permanent resident status may apply for naturalization while still in service or within six months of being discharged.

For more information visit www.us-immigration.com.

Comments are closed