How to Renew Your U.S. Green Card

Immigration to the United States is an exciting process. In fact, the day you received your U.S. green might have been the best day of your life. With a U.S. green card issued in your name, you are legally allowed to permanently live and work in America. However, a green card doesn’t last forever. In fact, it has a ten-year shelf life, which means you will need to renew your green card every ten years if you want to continue living and working in the U.S.

Renewing your U.S. green card is a fairly simple process. You will need to renew your green card if it has already expired, is about to expire within the next six months, or if you were issued the green card before your 14th birthday. If the green card was issued before your 14th birthday, it will need to be renewed when you turn 14.

Whether your green card has already expired or is about to expire within the next six months, it’s time to begin the green card renewal process so that you can legally work or travel in the U.S. Start by completing the form i90, which can be found at the USCIS website. You can complete the form online, or file a paper form and mail it in. If you’re green card expired while you were outside of the U.S., you must contact the nearest U.S. consulate before completing the US citizenship application form i90.
In addition to using this form to renew an expired green card, form I-90 can also be used if your personal information has changed, or if your green card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

The best way to stay on top of the renewal process is to pay attention to your card’s expiration date, located on the front of the green card. You don’t have to wait for it to expire before you begin the renewal process. In fact, it’s recommended to begin the renewal process at least six months before your expiration date because you can avoid any delays, according to It usually takes about three to four months to process a green card renewal application.

If you’re having trouble completing the proper form or need assistance with your application, you can get help by contacting U.S. Immigration. A helpful application center, U.S. application can help you complete forms related to U.S. immigration, ranging from form i90 to form n400.

Comments are closed