3 Options You Have for Staying in America Legally

Whether you’re already in America or you plan on coming here soon, if you plan on staying here for awhile, you’ll have to choose from one of these three options if you want to stay here legally:

1. Getting a Visa

U.S. Visas are perfect for people who want to come to America for a little while — either to work or just for fun — but don’t plan on staying indefinitely.

There are several different kinds of U.S. Visas, and each one comes with different benefits and limitations. For example, one Visa applies to students coming to college in America, while another is used for investors who are coming here for work. The type of Visa you get will depend on exactly why you’re coming to America.

Even though they’re usually used for temporary visitors, if you want to stay here permanently, there are U.S. Visas that can help you do it. An immigrant Visa can be used on a permanent basis, while a non-immigrant Visa is only good for a certain period of time.

2. Getting your green card

If you want to live in the U.S. permanently, you’ll need to get a green card. However, in order to get one, you’ll need to meet certain qualifications — like you’re coming here for a job, to be with your family, or for some other specific reason.

No matter why you get it, you won’t have to worry about doing a green card renewal for 10 years.

However, if yours ever gets lost, stolen, damaged, or the personal information on it changes, you’ll have to get a green card replacement — quickly. After all, your green card is the only proof you have that you’re in the U.S. legally!

Luckily, the world wide web has made it easier to get a green card replacement. With just a few clicks, you can have your green card renewal on its way!

3. Applying for permanent citizenship

If you’re over 18 and you’ve had a green card for the past five years (or three if you’re married to a U.S. citizen), you can fill out a permanent citizenship application. By doing so, you’ll have all of the rights that Americans have — like the right to vote, the right to run for office, and the right to collect U.S. benefits like Social Security and Medicare.

Amazingly, filling out a U.S. citizenship application means filling out only one form! And, you can do it all online, so there’s no reason to put it off as soon as you’re eligible.

Want some help following immigration laws? The American Immigration Center, Inc. is in business to help you do just that! Visit them today!

Comments are closed