3 Questions You’ve Probably Got about Immigration Forms

Immigration forms are the one thing you can’t afford to get wrong. If you do, it can turn a simple request into a long, drawn-out process. Or, it can ruin your chances of getting into the U.S. altogether!
Since there are so many different immigration forms out there, the answers to these 3 questions can help you make sense of the big issues:

1. “How do I renew my passport?”
If your passport is expired, you won’t be able to leave the country until you renew it. Luckily, you can do everything by mail as long as it’s been less than 15 years since you got your old passport, got it when you were at least 16 years-old, it’s undamaged, and the name listed on it is your current name (or, if you can show that you legally changed your name). As long as ALL of those things apply to you, you won’t have to renew your passport in person.
Making things better, if you renew your passport by mail, you only need one form to do it — Form DS-82.

2. “What’s the deal with U.S. Visas?”
If you’re planning on coming to the U.S. for a little while, one of the many U.S. Visas is the perfect option. However, since there are so many to choose from, the exact Visa you get will spell out exactly how long you’re allowed to stay and what kind of rules you have to follow while you’re here.
You can’t just pick and choose U.S. Visas at random, though. Instead, you’ll have to pick the one that applies to your specific situation — like if you’re a college student coming here to study, coming here for work, etc. Luckily, you can download all of the immigration forms you need online.
Thinking of staying here permanently? Apply for an Immigrant Visa. That way, you won’t have to adhere to an end date.

3. “Can you get a Green Card by marriage?”
However, it’s easier to get one if you’re marrying a U.S. citizen — instead of just someone who lives here permanently (like someone on an Immigrant Visa or on a Green Card of their own).
When you get a Green Card by marriage to a citizen, you simply have to fill out Form I-130. From there, you’ll be considered an “immediate relative” — meaning that you don’t have to wait for your Visa to be processed to come here.
If you’re marrying someone who isn’t a citizen yet, you’ll have to fill out the same form — but you’ll have to wait longer to get everything processed.

Whether you need to file immigration forms, download them, or learn more about them, you can get the answers you need at the American Immigration Center, Inc.

Comments are closed